The Legal Solutions You’re Looking For

  1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Matrimonial And Family Law
  4.  | Family Law FAQ

Answers To Critical New York Family Law Situations

At Young, Kelsey, Brown & Strippoli, P.C., located in Albany, New York, we help families every day. Whether you need a skilled advocate in the courtroom or a patient mediator who will answer your questions, our attorneys are here for you. You can find some of our most commonly asked questions below, but please don’t hesitate to call us with questions about your situation.

Photo of Lisa E. Brown

Family Law: Frequently Asked Questions

How Much Money Does It Cost To Divorce?

It depends on your specific situation. You’re likely to spend money on a filing fee, mediation and serving documentation. Depending on your circumstances, you may also need to hire child custody evaluators, financial analysts, forensic accountants and other professionals. The attorneys at Young, Kelsey, Brown & Strippoli, P.C. have practiced family law for over 30 years and have the experience to help your divorce move forward as efficiently as possible.

Should My Partner And I Get A Prenuptial Agreement?

Depending on your financial status and amount of debt, a prenup may be a good idea. If you have large assets purchased prior to your marriage, you may want to consider a prenuptial agreement to protect yourself in case you ever get divorced. If you have significant debt or are planning to take on debt, you may also want to get a prenuptial agreement to protect your partner from taking on any of your debt.

Do I Need A QDRO And How Do I Get One?

If you and your spouse have retirement assets or investments, you may want to consider a qualified domestic relations order (QDRO). You will likely need to hire financial professionals to help you draft the QDRO and then it must be signed by a judge to be legally recognized.

Do I Need To Prove Paternity If We Weren’t Married?

If you and your partner weren’t married and are now separating, you may need to establish paternity to be granted child custody or visitation or to determine child support. In New York, you can do this by either signing an acknowledgement of paternity or by going to court.

Get The Answers You Need Today

Every family is unique and has questions and concerns specific to their situation.

Please give us a call at 518-456-6767 or send us a message online to schedule an appointment in our Albany office and get the answers you’re looking for.

We offer affordable rates and accept all major credit cards.